Saturday, May 9, 2009

Ugh - Am I really that old?

So I recently found out that Port Coquitlam has a thriving genealogy club. The catch - it's at the senior center. Well, apparently anyone 50 or over can join the senior center and since I turned 50 last year I would be accepted. I have been to 2 meetings now and the butt of many family jokes (my husband has yet to hit the big 50). However, I was pleasantly surprised at how many people are involved in this club. I think there was about 15 of us at the meeting this past Wednesday. And I guess the senior center is just the meeting place, you don't have to be 50+ to come to the meetings. I was happy to see a newcomer who was clearly at least 10 years younger than me at this last meeting! I'm still not happy at knowing I am now old enough to join a senior center. For those that don't know me I will always be 18 in my mind. In fact my theme song at my 50th party was Bryan Adams "I'll be 18 til I die". If there's any doubt just take a look at my profile and my favorite music - several head banging for sure. LOL



If anyone is interested in coming to the meetings they meet the first Wednesday of every month at the Wilson Center in Port Coquitlam. Each month a different topic is covered or they may have a guest speaker. The June meeting will be all about using and getting the most out of Ancestry.com and the bonus is it only costs $2.



Thanks for stopping by.

1 comment:

  1. Have fun! One of the best things a genealogist can do, I think, is to join a local group. You'll hear ideas, info, tips and share each other's genealogical triumphs and tribulations.

    The British Columbia Genealogical Society is right 'around the corner' too - the Port Coquitlam group may already be an affiliate group so as a member you'd be able to attend events, use the library, etc. If you'd like to know more, go to http://www.bcgs.ca or give me a shout.

    ReplyDelete