Friday, May 8, 2009

I've finally entered the world of blogging

Well, I can't believe it, I've finally entered the world of blogging! I've had a lot of fun this past week creating this blog and I hope everyone who happens upon it will enjoy it. If you haven't already figured it out from my title this blog will focus on my passion - family history and preserving our family roots. In this day and age of digital technology it will be even harder for our descendants to know who we were if we don't take measures now to preserve our history. Technology changes daily and what we use today to save our family memories most likely will not be able to be used by our descendants. Remember those big 5" floppy disks? If you had saved pictures on those you would not be able to retrieve them today. Pictures on DVD's may not be retrievable 50 years from now. We live in a great age where we can take hundreds of pictures all the time documenting our family lives but what good are they if only we can enjoy them. Sometimes I regret that I don't have a lot of pictures of my ancestors. Some of them I have no pictures at all. Well this is what it may be like for our descendants if we are not careful. That's why I am so passionate about preserving not only our heritage pictures but the family pictures we take today. Digital is great but we should also have paper records of the more important pictures. We should have back ups and as technology changes we need to transfer our images over to the new technology. My goal is not only to try to trace my family history as far back as I can but to learn about how my ancestors lived and then to document and preserve that information and then add my family information to it for my descendants to enjoy. This blog will document my progress along with my other endeavors and hopefully provide some information on how you to can preserve your history for your descendants to enjoy.

Thanks for stopping by.

7 comments:

  1. WAY TO GO BABE-I AM SO PROUD OF YOU

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun with your blog Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just awarded your blog the One Lovely Blog Award. Please come on over sometime today to pick it up: http://canadagenealogy.blogspot.com/2009/05/scrap-your-roots-new-british-columbia.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome! Love your new blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to the blogging world! Please consider joining the GeneaBloggers Group on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/group.php?gid=30305424880). See more at http://www.geneabloggers.com.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to the genea-blogging world. I look forward to reading more from you. (P.S. My husband is the same way - he'll never let me forget that he is younger than I am.)

    ReplyDelete